- What was the advice given to Nick by his father? How, do you suppose, this makes him a good person to tell this story?
The advice that Nick’s father gave him is …”Whenever you feel like criticising anyone… just remember that all the people in this world have not had the same advantages that you’ve had.”This makes him a good person to tell the story because he is less judgmental than everybody else.
- How is West Egg different from East Egg? Which do you think you would rather live in and why?
West Egg is ‘new’ money and East Egg is ‘old’ money; meaning that the people who live in East Egg inherited their money and people who live in West Egg earned their money.I would rather live in the East Egg because that way I would have already inherited my money and being a female in that century it would be better to live in the ‘old’ area.
- If you were going to pick one colour to connect with Daisy Buchanan, what colour would it be? Explain your reasoning.
I would pick white because she is ,bland, fake, she is lacking in true friends, happiness and the real meaning of life. All of Daisy’s relationships are based on the idea of wealth and class but not personality or who the other person truly is. I would also pick white because white isn’t actually a colour it is a tone and Daisy isn’t real, she is fake.
- We find out that Tom has “some woman in New York.” What unflattering feature of Jordan Baker’s personality is revealed in this scene?
She is noisy, needs to know what is going on and likes to get in on the gossip.
- The green light that Gatsby is staring at will become an important symbol in the book. What symbolic associations do you connect to the colour green?
The colour green represents hope.It represents Gatsby’s thoughts because he still has hope to find Daisy and fall in love with her and be happy together. Green can also represent growth, harmony and balance. When Gatsby looks at the green light it symbolises growth for him, and how much he has changed and improved since he was young.